Tuesday, January 17, 2006

My first finished project of the year!


Can you believe it? I can't. Given that I excell at procrasination, well this is stupendous. Okay, I have really good motivation as this is a hat for Sunny. Granted it is not one of the designs she chose, that will be the next one.

The inspiration came from Knitter's, Spring 2004, page 60. Yes, I realize it's a spring/summer thing but Sunny gets cold easily and one loses a deal of heat via their head, and, well, it's cute!








Several months ago I was the lucky recipient of a Freecycler looking to unload a TON of yarn, including the plastic drawers.
Checking my stash I realized that I had this incredibly soft cotton yarn that would be so sweet.

While watching Graham on Thursday, so Jennie would enjoy a evening out, I casted on the
blue yarn. Her company treated the employess to a night at Teatro Zinzanni. Afterwards I looked up the price of tickets, since both this year and last Jennier raved about this how - but OMG! Way out of my budget but it sounds like great fun. I was about to add the second color (a skill set I had only done before on the Baby Sweater from Hell, which I didn't care about all that much so what if I screwed it up), when Jennie came home. The next evening I added on the lavender color and started the eyelet pattern - SO easy. Yeah. This project moved fast and looked good. The yarn helped as it's lovely, has a bit of a sheen to it that isn't quite apparent in the photo. You will have to trust me on this, it's a bit like polished cotton, or pearlized, or something.


Last night I finished it. It was a bit tricky with the double pointed needles, particularly at the end with very few stitches divided over 3 needles and I am sure that a stitch or two is not quite in a perfect round but it still looks good, I think.




Since we don't use live models often in this house I present Bear wearing the hat.

The hat, ankle warmers and a cute note pad with zebras on it will be in the mail to her soon!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

The first and third pictures show the sheen quite well, I think.

Well done! It is really lovely. Bear looks quite fetching in it, too.

Ancrene Wiseass said...

I agree with Jennie: It's a lovely hat. I like the contrasting band around the outside, too.