Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Art of Making Oatmeal

Please don't scoff. Apparently there is one, and it's one I am learning. Quaker Quick Oatmeal, bought in the large 42oz canister now, is the way to get The Girl Friend to eat breakfast, as mentioned sometime last month. Recently I asked her if she wanted some, as I was going to make it. Well, she very timidly (for her, so rather brusquely for the common populous) asked if I could make sure it was well cooked. It seems that by her standards (did I mention she is very particular about food?) that I hadn't cooked the oatmeal long enough a few occasions. How does one undercook instant oatmeal. The water boils, you dump said rolled oats, stir, and let it simmer. Oh well. So now I very carefully check that the oat flakes are suitably soft, if in question I add a tad bit more water and cook the mess into a soggy mass. It pleases her, I can still eat it. There you have it - art.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Too funny. Don't buy her that fancy Scottish oatmeal from Trader Joe's. It's too chewy for me, even.

I like Quaker reg. oats, cooked the full 5 mins. Yummy!

louisiana swamp rat said...

She does have a point, semi-crunchy oatmeal, blech!