Friday, December 08, 2006

Good times, sad times

I wish I could be witty for y'all tonight but it's just not flowing.

It has been a long time since I worked somewhere during the holiday season but given that I am still employed by The Agency, currently to work with Miss SoS, apparently it is still au courant to have holiday celebrations. Last week we picked names for "secret santa" gifting purposes. Before reaching into the hat (yes it was seriously a hat) I prayed that I would get someone I knew well enough to get something appropriate without resorting to a gift certificate. Luckily I got Moon, who I really like. I was tempted to get something from Good Vibrations for Moon because I thought it would be taken in good humour, but since it was to be a public event I vetoed my own idea. In the end I shopped at T*rget and choose a cool picture frame doodad that holds 4 photos.

The gathering was held at Unicorn, a restaurant I had been interested in trying for, oh, about 4 years, but had never gotten around to going to in all that time. Um, I had a lovely Chardonny/Viognier blend that was very tasty and a nice compliment to the dishes I tried, which was several! The food was really very good and it would be worth going back for a nice dinner date with TGF.

The sad times involves a friend of mine, one of the first people I met when I moved here. We clicked, I mean really clicked - it is rare that we can do a breakfast meet-up that takes less than 2 hours and it's been like that since our first meeting. She and her partner are in the process of splitting as I found out tonight. I feel so sad for her it actually hurt earlier, now I just wish there was more I could actually do. They have been together for about twelve years (if I remember correctly) and there are two adorable kids in the mix. As hard as my split was with CHL, it is impossible for me to fathom adding children into that sort of choice. As I have many friends with children, some of whom are not sure of their relationship it is so much easier to sit over here, childless and council about being happy as a valuable model to offer your children. Staying or leaving when one is not happy has an impact on children, certainly I know about that from my experience as the kids in the mix, but staying involves less change, a different type of adjustment - one that is quiet, a bit hidden.

Sending my friend a strong cyber hug.

4 comments:

Wyatt's Mom said...

No better, kinder or sweeter friend in you, can she have. You have very broad shoulders my love, you'll help her in every way that you are.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about you friend's break-up. I'm sure you'll be a great help to her during this difficult time.

On a lighter note, Unicorn looks wonderful. The next time I trek over to Berkeley, I'll have to check it out. Oh, and as for viognier, isn't it a great wine? If you're interested in a nice one, try the one by Jewel. You can find it at Beverages & More for $9.99 or $8.99 with a BevMo card. It's really smooth.

Anonymous said...

during the period that m and i almost broke up, i was ever so grateful we did not have children. altho we do have pets that we'd have to split up, and although i already know how i'd deal with it, it still would have added an extra amount of suckitude.

Jennie said...

I know that breakup is hurting you--I knew it the first second I heard of it. It is really sad. Ugh.

Glad you enjoyed the holiday party; too bad you passed on Good Vibes as a present source--what fun!