Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Election Day

Four years ago I got to vote as a birthday event, albeit the day after, but I see it as part of my day anyway. So much was different then, I had a lot of hope about Obama; now I recognize how much Obama has failed to deliver all the promises - of course what president ever has? This year, I fear that he will not will. This is one time I truly hope I am wrong.


Today I voted for the first time in decades in New York, the place I first voted - back in the day of the curtained voting booths. The clunk as you hefted the lever was distinctive as was the swish of the curtain encasing you, promising not to release you until finished your task. Perhaps it's a sign of my mostly non-political leanings but I no longer remember for sure who I voted for in my first election - I just know it wasn't for a president; it may have been for the mayor? Koch, perhaps? Sigh. It's been a long time, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

There have been few years where I was gung ho for the presidential candidate, 2008 I was. This year, I less enamored and there was a touch of voting against Romney, I find this a bit sad, but at least I am not feeling like I am settling for the lesser of two evils which has been the options far more times than I'd like.

Even with all this, leaving the polling station I felt good, happy even to have done the share that I can to participant in this process. It is true I am not exceptionally politically knowledgeable or savvy, but I still take voting seriously. I believe this is my responsibility in being a citizen of this country, not because I am particularly patriotic (I really am not) but because it is a right that many other places do not have. Because in a time when other rights have been stripped away or minimized I do not intend to take the ones I have left lightly.

No comments: