Thursday, June 01, 2006

Progress on Square - On the block

Well I had great ideas for Melissa's block. I decided to use some of the stash I acquired off of Freecycle of Lio*n Brand Homespun because I know she has used this yarn and likes it. I contemplated various stitch patterns and finally decided to make a yarn painting. A very crude yarn painting as it turns out. This is my first attempt mixing colours and certainly my first time using yarn to make an illustration! I ripped and restarted many sections, more than once sometimes. I tried just going free hand and realized that is a HUGE mistake for a beginner. So I sketched out what I wanted to try to do in yarn with some crayons (this did not end the cycle of frogging):

I can assure you that the block looks nothing like this! I realized after numerous restarts and frogging that in order to do something like this again in the future (shoot me now!) I really ought to have done SSK, and K2Tog sort of stitching to give a more graceful look.

This is how it looks just pinned, shot with no flash.

This is how it looks shot with a flash.
Gotta love the flash! Makes it look so much nicer. I doubt very much it will look this flat and pulled together, even after blocking but there it is. The design was inspired by New Hampshire landscape, which is where the recipient lives.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

It's lovely. I finally sent mine this week. Nice work!