Friday, September 19, 2008

Banned Books Week -A Public Service Announcement

This is important folks. September 27th - October 4th.

I am stunned that Mark Twain is on the list for most frequently challenged author for 2007. How's that for a legacy? Though I confess I have read none of his work, not on purpose it's just I never had to read him in school and never got around to it. He's on my "list" but haven't gotten to it. I am happy to report that I have read other books and authors on various "challenged" list but more by chance than intent:

The Bluest Eye
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Beloved
The Color Purple
Harry Potter series (well the first four, have to catch up)
Forver
Heather Has Two Mommies
The Catcher in the Rye
Go Ask Alice
The Handmaiden's Tale
To Kill A Mockingbird
Deenie
Sleeping Beauty Trilogy (well part of it, by A.N.Roquelaure {Anne Rice})
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Carrie
In The Night Kitchen
Blubber
Slaughterhouse-Five
The Great Gatsby
1984
Lolita
Catch-22
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Invisible Man (I think I never finished it as it depressed me SO much)
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Clockwork Orange
Sons and Lovers
A Separate Peace

Going over the various lists, I clearly have a lot of reading to catch up on.
Look here for more events, details, and book lists.

Read on! Visit your local library, used bookstore, and independent retailer whenever possible!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It appears I have also read a good number of challenged books. It seems funny that some of those were required reading in school. I don't understand why some people try to stifle creativity and diversity.

LisaDuvall said...

I've read 9 books on that list - more if you count the Harry Potters individually. I'm truly fascinated by people wanting to ban the written word. It's so crazy to me that it doesn't seem to be something that actually goes on.

To Kill a Mockingbird remains to this day one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I love it.